Monday, March 16, 2009

Rabbi Chaim Goldberg presenting at Lander College for Men




UPDATE:

Around 30 students attended our Lander College excursion, where we talked about tilapia, trout, basa vs flounder, and salmon. A good time was had by all, especially me!!!
You can hear it by following the link here!





















Lander College for Men 75-31 150th Street Kew Gardens Hills, NY Tuesday, March 17th from 5-6pm




THE KASHRUS OF FISH IN THEORY AND PRACTICE
A DEMONSTRATION
Given by
Rabbi Chaim Goldberg, Shlita
OU Fish Rabbinic Coordinator






Come one, come all!!!

2 comments:

Dr. Avraham Goldstein said...

Dear Rabbi Goldberg,

Shalom!

By mistake I have bought Basa fish in an Associated Supermarket and cooked it. For some reasons I was assured that it is kosher.

Several days later I suddenly was told that it is probably not kosher. I did some basic research online and found-out that it does have very small scales, but is still listed as non-kosher because they can not be removed without tearing the skin [as RAM"A brings up in Iore Dea in the name of Maggid Mishne and Maggid Mishne quotes Ramba"n on it].

Pithei Teshuva brings from Noda BeYehuda Tanina that if one can in ANY WAY EVENTUALLY remove the scales by hand the fish is kosher.

My question is: Can I rely BEDIAVAD that the fish was kosher in order not to through-out kellim? If not, should I also through-out all the kellim on which I have a safek? Should I through-out kellim which were washed in hot water with the pen in which the fish was cooked?

Thank you VERY MUCH

Sincerely,

Avraham Goldstein

avraham.goldstein.nyc@gmail.com

Dani said...

Hi! I know this is from ages ago. I tried following the link to see the presentation but there was nothing there.
At any rate, loved the articles!